These little delightful patties are so versatile, you can have them with a green salad, in a pita as ‘falafels’, in a burger bun, the choice is yours! I like to serve them with a large green salad, the flavours and textures are perfect together.
Vegan Chickpea Patties Recipe
Makes 10-12 patties
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons each parsley and coriander, minced
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, ground (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- Add all ingredients into a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until it is similar in consistency to that of cookie batter.
- Place in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes to firm up the batter.
- After 30 minutes, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- With your hands, make a ball out of one large tablespoon of batter. Flatten a little bit.
- Place in skillet in batches of about 4 at a time.
- Fry for 4-5 minutes, then turn. Repeat on the other side.
- Remove patties from skillet.
- Add the other tablespoon of olive oil and repeat frying steps for the remaining patties.
- Remove from skillet and serve warm.