This recipe came about when my son picked some jalapeños from our garden a few days ago. I was thinking, what shall I do with my jalapeños aside from salsa? I looked in the fridge, saw what I had, and decided to put it all together for a great little appetizer or side. If you like heat like I do, then these are for you. They are muy caliente!
Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
Makes 8 stuffed mushrooms
- 8 cremini mushrooms, washed, stems removed and saved
- 1 jalapeño, washed, seeds removed, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small sweet orange pepper, washed, seeds removed, diced
- 2 small sweet yellow tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated organic raw cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
- a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, and finely chop the stems.
- Place mushroom caps onto an oiled baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine jalapeño, mushroom stems, garlic, orange pepper, tomato, salt and pepper.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into each mushroom cap. For a vegan version of this recipe, stop here and pop them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Top with grated cheese and sprinkle fresh chives over each mushroom.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cheese has melted. You can put them under the broiler for 2 minutes to get a little bit of a brown top.
- Enjoy as an appetizer, or with a large green salad!