I must admit, I rarely have more than five minutes to prepare breakfast for myself most mornings. Weekdays usually consist of scurrying out of the house with either a breakfast smoothie or coffee to go. When I do have an extra few minutes, I love having this warming quinoa cereal which literally takes five minutes to prepare. Most of us are accustomed to having quinoa as a savoury dish, but this wonderful, protein rich grain is excellent for breakfast.
Take an extra few minutes for yourself this morning, I sure did.
- 1/2 cup organic quinoa flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or water, or other non-dairy beverage of your choice)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/4 cup bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon raw shelled hemp seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon almond slices
- a drizzle of agave nectar
- In a small saucepan over high heat, heat almond milk. Once it’s at a boil, add quinoa flakes, turn down heat and cover.
- Wait one minute then spoon into a bowl.
- Top with blueberries and bananas. Then sprinkle the almonds, hemp seeds, and nutmeg over top finishing with a drizzle of agave nectar.
- Sit back and enjoy!