I’ve indulged in one too many treats this summer, and lately have been very good in keeping on the straight and narrow with healthy eating. But, a girl loves her snacks. Salty, crunchy snacks to be precise. I do not believe we should ever deprive ourselves of delicious eating (or snacking). I just like to come up with healthier alternatives. Enter these spicy, crunchy roasted chickpeas. I had to force myself to put them away so I can type this blog post.
My four year old’s reaction to these, “Mama, I really, really like these. They are very yummy.” This makes me extra happy, as I like to fuel his little body with nutritious snacks whenever I can, since he is the pickiest eater and rarely sits down for three meals a day. I made a decent sized batch of these, as they stay crunchy for a few days stored at room temperature (let them cool completely before storing).
- 2 (12 oz) cans organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas then pour them into a large bowl. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil and lemon juice over chickpeas, then add the dry seasonings which you combined in the bowl.
- Using your hands or a silicone spatula, toss to combine until evenly coated.
- Lay chickpeas out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Place in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until crisp.
- Store at room temperature.