It doesn’t get much simpler, or healthier for that matter, than this veggie loaded soup. It’s one of those soups that I (pretty much) guarantee you have all the ingredients for in your pantry and fridge. My little guy also loved it, although I did have to pull out the kale from his bowl. The only way he eats kale (for now) is when I make him chips. I saw a recent poll on facebook where we were asked if we truly like kale or do we feel it’s just a fad? I personally love it, it’s so versatile, tasty, and you can’t deny the health benefits. It is also fantastic in this soup alongside the plump black beans.
Black Bean + Kale Soup Recipe
- 2 cans organic black beans
- 1/2 a bunch kale, washed and torn into pieces, stems removed and discarded
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- dash of tabasco sauce (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, jalapeño, and cook for 10 minutes. The carrot should be slightly softened now.
- Add vegetable stock, cumin, thyme, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low, add kale, and let simmer for approx. 20 minutes, or until carrots and celery are tender.
- Taste; add more salt if necessary.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and tabasco (optional).