Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

When I met my husband back in the day, I had never tried Indian food (crazy, I know!).  He introduced me to some of the best Indian restaurants in Montreal, and to this day, it remains my favourite dinner date treat.  Although I don’t cook much Indian food at home, I am amazed by the delicious combinations of spices and it really is a very veg-friendly cuisine.  We love to order it in as a treat from our favourite restaurant, and even my 4 1/2 year old son asks for Indian food.  We are just obsessed with chickpea chana, aloo gobi, biryani, onion bhaji, and I’ll stop now before I make everyone really hungry…. πŸ™‚

Vegan Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

This brings me to the ever-refreshing mango lassi that I was daydreaming of when I created this recipe.  Traditionally, lassi is a yoghurt-based chilled drink hailing from India, and either made sweet or savoury.  When making fruit lassi, mango is the most popular.  This is my take on the mango lassi incorporated with chia seeds to make a filling, refreshing, vibrant mango lassi parfait.  I never liked yoghurt, so I didn’t use it here, but if you would like to use yoghurt/non-dairy yoghurt then leave out the cashews and water and add 1/2 cup yoghurt.  I just love the creaminess cashews bring to a dish or drink and I think they worked really well in this parfait.

Vegan Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

If you are new to chia seeds, I just want to emphasize what a nutritional powerhouse this little seed is.  I’ll start by saying, yes it looks totally weird when you soak it, almost alien-like.  I know that doesn’t sound at all appetizing, but it’s actually really great-tasting soaked in almond milk or milk/juice of your choice.  Chia seed contains a wealth of fiberβ€”5 grams in just one tablespoon. It is the fiber in chia that causes chia seed to swell when combined with water, creating chia gel.  Chia gel can also be used as a substitute for eggs in vegan baking.

Ounce for ounce, chia seeds have more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon. Chia is one of the most concentrated sources of omega-3 in any food.  Chia also contains calcium; three times more than skim milk.

Great ways to use chia:

• Sprinkle on cereal or salad.
  • Add to shakes or smoothies.
  • Add to baked goods like muffins, cakes, and pancakes.
  • Make into gel and use to thicken puddings, sauces or dips.  You can make chia gel by adding 1/3 cup of chia seeds to 2 cups of almond milk (or juice, or water).  Mix well to avoid clumping.  Place the chia seeds in in a sealed jar and refrigerate overnight.
  • For vegan baking, replace one egg with 1/4 cup of chia gel.

So, I guess you’ve now realized I am a big fan of this great little seed, so I’ll get on to the recipe!  This makes two servings, but for the purpose of taking a pretty, layered photo, I stuffed it all into one mason jar. πŸ™‚

Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

Serving Size: 2

Ingredients

• For the Chia Seeds:
  • 2 cups vanilla flavoured almond milk
  • 1/3 cup white chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • pinch of salt
  • For the Mango Lassi:
  • 2 medium mango, peeled
  • 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted
  • pinch of salt
  • pinch of ground cardamom
  • 2 tablespoons chopped roasted pistachios (optional)

Instructions

1. Prepare your chia seeds the night before by combining almond milk, chia seeds, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt in a jar. Stir well, cover, and place in the refrigerator. After about 30 minutes, stir again to prevent clumping. Place back in the refrigerator overnight.
  2. Soak your cashews overnight in a jar filled with water.
  3. In the morning, remove chia and cashews from the fridge.
  4. Blend 1 mango along with the cashews, water, dates, and a pinch of salt until you have a smooth consistency.
  5. Dice the one remaining mango.
  6. Layer parfait in a large cup or jar: spoon chia mixture into glass/jar first, then mango lassi, fresh mango, repeat. Top with fresh mango, pistachios, and ground cardamom.
  7. Serve cold.

Vegan Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

Vegan Mango Lassi Breakfast Parfait

If you’re new to Love and Lentils, I’m hosting a $25 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway, and you are more than welcome to enter here!

Good luck, and thank you for reading!

Untitled-1

Comments

1. What a delicious parfait, I love mango lassi and LOVE Indian food. I think I’ll order some tonight. Would love to have this any time of day, yum!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Suzanne, I love Indian so much too! Did you order in? I’m craving it now….:)

• Yes I did, got chicken Korma or kurma, vegetable samosa’s and saag panir. YUMMMM, made a mango lassi to wash it down (spicy!!!)

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Yum! Sounds like perfection. πŸ™‚

2. we were just at a little indian place and i spied the mango lassi. was trying to figure out how to veganize. perfect!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Hello Lisa! That’s great – I hope you give it a try. πŸ™‚

3. So so beautiful! Indian food is probably my favourite cuisine and I cook it very regularly. However I’ve never made lassi! Will try this for sure, I think I can easily incorporate it into the diet! :p

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

I totally agree, it’s definitely one of our favourite things to eat. I’m so glad you tried it Poppy, your lassi parfait looked delish! xx

4. Mango lassi is one of the very few things I genuinely would miss from my pre-vegan days, but then again I was a big lover of yogurt. Have yet to find a vegan yogurt that truly matches up to Greek dairy (that isn’t extortionately priced, anyway. xD) I’ve tried a cashew-based, date-sweetened “lassi” before and was disappointed though… I adore mangoes and cannot WAIT till the crates of Alphonso start arriving! My partner has only tried Brazilian mangoes, and didn’t understand why I was getting so excited for this particular variety to start arriving. He hasn’t lived yet:D

Chia pudding is a new thing that’s on my list to try, and given that we’ll have mangoes in surplus soon enough, I will definitely be giving this delicious-sounding (and looking!) concoction a shot, perhaps replacing the cashews with a whizz of silken tofu? If that doesn’t work I may just splurge and get some coconut yogurt. I need mango lassi back in my life. Thanks for the recipe <3

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Hello Shonalika, thank you for your lovely comment! It really does not get better than alphonso mangos. I used ataulfo in this recipe.
      I do hope you give it a try, and hopefully it doesn’t disappoint. πŸ˜‰ I also thought of using silken tofu, but I love cashews, and thought they worked really well here. I’m pretty sure it would work well, though.

Good luck!
      Sophia

5. I just made my first chia pudding the other day! Yum! This recipe looks absolutely delicious. Any suggestions for substituting the dates?

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Don’t you just love chia pudding? It’s so versatile! You can definitely substitute the dates with pure maple syrup, I’d say 1 tbsp should be more than enough. πŸ™‚

6. Oh my, it looks so delicious ! I’m gonna try this recipe for sure !

7. Wow this is stunning. I love chia seeds. I like that you use them here with almond milk and they offset the mango. The date and cardamom combo it deadly good! Thank you for sharing this! YUM!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Thanks so much, Amanda. It was a pretty deadly combo if I do say so myself. πŸ™‚

8. Mango lassi’s are my hubby’s favorite drink! Unfortunately, we don’t have a lot of Indian restaurants near us so he doesn’t get to indulge in them often. I should clarify the no good Indian restaurants close to us comment. There are a lot of great ones forty or so minutes away, but we’re usually too lazy to drive that far to go out to dinner. Anyway, this recipe looks delicious!!! I still haven’t made anything with Chia seeds, and this looks like a great first attempt with the little suckers. Celeste πŸ™‚

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

That’s quite a distance, I would probably be too lazy also, even if it means getting a mango lassi. πŸ˜‰
      I think you will like chia, Celeste! It took me a long time to give them a try, and I really like them. Simple chia pudding with just some chia + almond milk topped with some fruit is great!

9. This looks sooo yum! I’ll have to stock up on mango before the season is truly over (getting pricey now!) – this seems very much worth it *nom nom*

10. Julia says:

This was an amazing breakfast!!!!! Thank you so much πŸ™‚