Summer is pretty much in full swing in most parts, which means picnics, family bike rides, BBQs, and lots of dinners on the patio. A popular summer salad which I was never really able to get behind is the traditional potato salad. I just find it too heavy with mayo and much too creamy for my liking. I do, however, love the idea of grilled corn, fresh dill and tangy mustard in my potato salad, and that’s just what I did to recreate this classic dish. We just planted our vegetable and herb garden last weekend. I get so excited about this every year, digging up the dirt for our baby plants with my husband and nurturing them in the early mornings. It’s such an amazing thing to do if you have the green space. I really really do not have a green thumb (as my indoor plants can attest to), and we’ve had success every summer over the last three years. If I can do it, you can, too. This year we planted red and yellow cherry tomatoes, big beef tomatoes, Lebanese cucumbers, jalapeños, purple and red bell peppers, and romaine hearts. In our herb garden we have chives, basil, thai basil, oregano, cilantro, and fresh dill. There’s really no better feeling than going right into your backyard to cut fresh herbs at the moment you need them. So, that’s what I did for this salad, and coming from a potato salad loving hubby, this statement was a big one: “This is the best potato salad I’ve ever had. Totally. The best.”
- 4 organic cobs of corn, husked
- 2 pounds small white potatoes, washed
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Place corn on grill over medium-high heat. Grill until tender and slightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool slightly before handling, then cut off kernels using a sharp knife. Place into a large bowl.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and slice in half. Add to the bowl of corn, along with green onions, mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar and dill. Toss all to combine well.
- Serve and enjoy!