I was recently contacted by the nice folks over at Kiss Me Organics and they asked me if I would be interested in reviewing their organic matcha. I was thrilled, since I’m a huge fan of matcha and all its health benefits, and I immediately started thinking up recipes to share with you. I received my bag of organic matcha and whipped up a smoothie right away, it was so delicious and as matcha is known for, it really does boost your energy. I would highly recommend adding a teaspoon to your smoothies or juices. I started thinking up matcha baking recipes, as I wanted to use it in a more unconventional way. Then, the stars aligned and I found a great set of donut pans at a garage sale, and I instantly thought: matcha donuts!!
Who doesn’t love donuts, right? I thought, what better way to healthify them than by baking them instead of deep frying and adding in the organic matcha. Matcha is extremely high in antioxidants and lifts your vitality while boosting your metabolism. Not to mention, this high quality grade matcha is pure indulgence, rich in flavour and aroma. I absolutely loved the green colour of the donut glaze, and fought my son to lick the spoon clean.
Of course, the easiest way to have matcha is by simply adding it to boiling water and enjoying a green tea – but I promise this is one of the easiest recipes I have ever made. Also, it’s really quick; you’ll be all done within 30 minutes. My son was immediately attracted to these green donuts as well, he gobbled them up! They have a moist, cake-like texture, and you won’t miss the fact that they aren’t deep fried. They also go great with a nice hot cup of green tea.
So, let’s get to the recipe, and then, we’ll get to the giveaway! Woot woot.
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Matcha Glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon organic matcha powder
- 3 tablespoons plain almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined and a soft dough is formed.
- Scoop dough into a greased donut pan (either with cooking spray or coconut oil) and bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Begin making your glaze.
- In a bowl, mix the icing sugar, matcha powder and almond milk. Once the donuts have cooled, dip each donut into the bowl of icing, and set on a cooling rack. You can add sprinkles if you prefer. Serve at room temperature. I recommend that you consume these donuts on the same day, otherwise store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Kiss Me Organics is generously offering one of you lucky readers your own bag of top grade organic matcha! It is available exclusively through Amazon, and a bag should last you about 6 weeks. All first time customers also receive a free PDF file of matcha recipes to also inspire you!
I’d love to hear, do you enjoy matcha? What’s your favourite way to prepare it?
A green tea latte addict xx