Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles

So, we’re literally 5 days away from Christmas!  I wonder if you’ve all finished your shopping, or handmade gift-making, or baking?  Well, this is what I have been making in my kitchen for friends and family this year, and besides being totally irresistible, they are so unbelievably simple to make!

IMG_7967-2

There are several options you can use when making these delectable truffles; you can use semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet if you choose, but I personally love dark chocolate.  Then you have so many options for your coatings.  Toasted coconut, chopped nuts, cocoa, icing sugar, whatever your little heart desires!

Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles

This is also a really fun activity to do with your kiddos.  I liked to do the rolling of the truffle balls and let my little guy dip them in the bowls with the coatings.

Bittersweet Chocolate Truffles

Yield: 20-22 truffles

Ingredients

• 300 grams bittersweet baking chocolate (I like to use Camino)
  • 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • Assorted Coatings:
  • 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder

Instructions

1. Chop the chocolate into small pieces then place into a small saucepan. Melt the chocolate over the lowest heat, stirring frequently.
  2. Whisk in the coconut milk, vanilla extract and salt. Whisk until smooth.
  3. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for approx. 30 minutes. Remove from freezer, stir with a spoon, breaking down any hard pieces, then place in the fridge for another 30 minutes. If it's not firm after this time, you can place it in the fridge for 10-20 more minutes until you have a firm texture that is easy to mould.
  4. Place your coatings into separate shallow bowls. Have a baking tray ready to place your truffle balls on.
  5. With your hands, roll chocolate into little balls. Roll balls into coating of your choice, pressing in and covering the balls completely. Repeat until all chocolate is used, alternating between coatings.

To finish off, you can package these cuties in mason jars, mugs, or even little ramekins and give them to your friends and family for the holidays.  Have fun with it.  Remember to keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to gift them or eat them. πŸ™‚

IMG_7979-2 IMG_7981-2 IMG_7988-2

IMG_7999-2

I wish you all a peaceful and relaxing holiday season.  I know it can get quite hectic this time of year, but cherish the time with your loved ones and friends, enjoy the food, the wine, and the holiday spirit.

Best wishes xx

Sophia

Comments

1. Love these Sophia! I just posted dark chocolates with coconut milk too, haha! I absolutely love dark chocolate. I also added a couple of other ingredients to further intensify the chocolate flavor. I also added some cashew butter because it makes them sooo dreamy! I love the coconut you rolled in some and they look beautiful in the packaging!!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Brandi, I saw them and they look absolutely delectable!! Yummm, cashew butter, that must take them over the edge. πŸ˜‰

2. Dark chocolate is the best! I use coconut milk for everything, including oatmeal. YUM!
    Beautiful photos, a feast for the eyes!!

Merry Christmas!!

<3 carmen

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

I agree! Dark chocolate is my fave! πŸ˜‰
      Thanks so much for your kind words. A very, merry Christmas to you as well!

3. Holy yum!!! These look incredible Sophia!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Thanks so much, Sophia! I made another batch today, my son asked “Can I have one of the falafels? I was like, huh? He’s like, oops I mean one of your waffles? Finally, I understood….’One of the truffles!!’ Hehehe πŸ™‚

4. Mmmhm, dark chocolate is the best. I think I must have actually gone off the more sugary stuff. My sister gave me a faux milk chocolate advent calendar and I didn’t like it despite TRYING to! Either that or I’m just really fussy. These truffles look like the perfect Christmas gift, as well as fun to make! There’s something really appealing about rolling stuff around in a coating, makes me feel like a happy kid xP

5. Hi Sophia! πŸ™‚ These looks super delish and lovely for the holidays. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy & prosperous New Year! πŸ™‚ XO, Violet

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Hi Violet! Nice to hear from you :). I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! The truffles did make a great holiday treat!

6. Well I’m glad you popped by to comment today because I hadn’t been over here for a while and I always love a good vegan truffle recipe. The holidays aren’t quite over yet in my books so maybe I’ll make these this week….or after the holidays…anytime is good for truffles, isn’t it?! I love the idea to package them in a cute mug!

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Hi Deryn! Thanks so much for stopping by! πŸ™‚
      Haha, anytime is a good time for truffles, it’s true! They’re so easy to make, too!

7. Hi, Sophia!
    It’s been a while since we’ve talked since I’ve moved out of (strictly) food blogging into lifestyle, but your blog remains one of my favorites! I hope things are going well for you, and these truffles look AMAZING!
    Johanna

• Sophia | Love and Lentils says:

Hi Johanna! So glad you stopped by. I love the concept of your blog – so fun!
      I actually started my blog as a food and fashion blog, but the focus slowly moved solely to food. Haha πŸ™‚
      I hope you try the truffles! Happy 2015 to you and your fam! xx