Vegan. One Bowl. Chocolatey. Fudgy. Ooey Gooey. Brownies!
Now that I’ve got your attention, join me in my excitement. There’s really nothing better (in my books) than super quick, easy, healthier alternatives to our loved favourites. Take the brownie, for example. You’ve eaten boxes and boxes of the packaged ones, right? Just me? Hope not…. 😉 Well, those were my younger years, and now that I’m older (and a bit wiser), with a little human who’s under my care, I like to create homemade versions.
The little one was asking for a chocolatey treat, and I can’t deny that I was also craving something sweet. So, I got in the kitchen and whipped up a bowl of dairy and refined sugar-free brownies. They were pretty awesome, but not perfect. Not fudgy enough. As a blogger (and a bit of a perfectionist), I went at it again the very next night and really nailed it. Chewy edges, fudgy centers, lots of chocolate, chopped nuts, all combined to make a sweet little brownie indeed.
Here’s how to make ’em at home. 🙂
- 2 cups whole spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups plain almond milk (or soy milk)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips + 1/4 cup for topping
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" x 12" glass pan.
- In a large bowl, mix all your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the almond milk, applesauce, maple syrup, oil and vanilla. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Top with remaining chocolate chips and pecans.
- Place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked on the outside and they spring back slightly. Let cool for 10 minutes and then cut into squares. They will have a gooey center, just the way brownies should be. Enjoy!
- Store cooled brownies in a sealed plastic bag or container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
As always, I’d love if you would share a photo if you make these brownies in your kitchen. Tag it #loveandlentils and I’ll be happy to share it on my Instagram page!
Thanks for reading! xx