This salad is definitely a winner. Who says you can’t make friends with salad? I love fresh salads for lunch or sides, and frankly the bigger the better. I wanted a little bit of everything in here; crunch, sweetness, cheesiness, and something that can be prepared ahead of time and thrown together later. I think we all typically boil or roast brussels sprouts, but have you ever had these amazing little greens raw? They have a similar texture to shredded cabbage, but much more flavourful. Shaved brussels, chewy dried cranberries, toasted almonds, fresh pear, and vegan parmesan cheese make this salad irresistible. By the way, I just recently discovered vegan parm, and boy oh boy is it ever delicious and the easiest thing to put together. It has officially made its way as a topping to almost anything I eat!
You don’t need any fancy tools to shave brussels, it’s actually very quick and easy to do with your kitchen knife. The best part is, you can do this and store the brussels in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week and they will stay fresh and crunchy!
Times have definitely changed from when I was a kid. My son loves his vegetables, and yes, even brussels sprouts. I think his new favourite way to have them is raw. Kids like crunch, right?
So, here it is.
Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
Makes approx. 6 side dish salads
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs (I used thyme, rosemary would work great as well)
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 cups shaved brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pear, washed and sliced (I used red anjou)
- Directions: Place all ingredients into a mason jar, tightly secure the lid, and shake!
- Directions: Place all ingredients in a food processor and process for 20 seconds. I like the texture crumbly, but you can continue processing to a fine powder if you like. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Directions: Wash brussels sprouts and trim off ends. Slice in half from top to bottom. Thinly slice each half using a sharp knife then fluff the shreds using your fingers, separating the shreds. Place shaved brussels sprouts onto a serving dish. Top with toasted almonds, dried cranberries, sliced pear and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve. If you want to prepare the salad ahead of time, only add the pear right before serving. Enjoy my friends!